10.06.2008

1970 modernist architecture

Ran across an example of some sweet modernist architecture yesterday, Villa Spies built on a small island off the coast of Stockholm, Sweden. "Googie" as the style is named after the first coffeeshop that used this style featured many buildings representing the fast paces car-age times with a desire for the galaxy.



At the time many people expected to be living in space colonies by 2001. "Googie" was prominent in the 40's, 50's and 60's and I suspect Villa Spies to be built in a related futurist style on the haydays of this stream. Although this might have been built in the dying days of this awesome architectural style, I still think this is one of the most beautiful examples of Jetson-esque architecture. The round shapes are made in the phylosophy of creating a house around a person rather than placing a person in the more regular square box homes. I just wish there were more homes designed like this so I could actually look forward to living in a futurist Jetson-esque home one day.

If you want to read more, you might want to check out this awesome book, it's not cheap but I think I'll order it for inspiration sake.

No comments: