4.20.2009

Buy our car insurance...

Today I ran into a commercial on the Dutch national TV trying to get me to buy a car insurance. Who comes up with these ideas and what the point is is lost on me... I can't find the commercial right now. But the synopsis:

An employee of the insurance company is shown working overtime, coming up with great ideas of new types of insurances. Then there's a shot with a baby and a voice over saying that a father's role in a family is easily replaced. The next thing you see is the family parrot raising the baby because the father, the employee of the insurance company works overtime so much... I mean, really? Is this supposed to make me want to buy a car insurance from them?

There have been great creative commercials in the past that kept it simple, they stayed true to the product or feeling they are trying to sell. Creative ideas are fantastic, that's what it's all about. But lately more and more of these concepts seem to go way over the top. They just loose the point for the sake of being "funny"...

Update: I found the commercial, it's in Dutch but with the above synopsis you should be able to make out my point. Here it is:

No comments: